Peter Harkins ph at malaprop.org
Fri Jan 24 15:41:36 CET 2003

On Thu, Jan 23, 2003 at 02:42:52PM -0800, Caliban Tiresias Darklock wrote:

> Now, if this area at the top of the mountain is Really Cool, and
> everyone says it's a great place to hang out and do stuff, [...]

> I'd like to hear other people's thoughts and ideas on how the
> lowlevelitis problem could be productively solved without
> alienating too many people.

The standard answer is: make some Really Cool foothills.

If the game's not fun for the first x levels, it's really unlikely
someone will stick around until level x+1. There's something to be
gained from a little anticipation, but it can be overdone to the
point that it just looks plainly like what it is: a unreachable
carrot on a stick. At that point, it serves to drive players away
rather than give them incentive to keep playing.