[MUD-Dev] Programming Languages and I/O Algorithms

Zach Collins {Siege} zcollins at seidata.com
Sun Jan 26 02:29:03 CET 2003

On Fri, 24 Jan 2003, Ben Chambers wrote:

> Which language is prefferred for mud design?  C/C++ provides speed
> but Java adds a lot of flexibility.

As far as I've seen, choice of language is a matter of personal
preference.  What language do you feel most comfortable with, most
in need of learning more about, or most compatible with your design
goals?

> Furthermore how do most muds handle incoming commands in order to
> minimize lag?  I was thinking some sort of queue sorted by
> criticality of the type of event, but then you have to pre-process
> all the events and sort the queue which then creates lag in the
> process.  What are some common solutions?

I dunno how others do it, but mine dedicates a single thread to
polling connections and transferring data into and out of FIFO
queues.  Thus, in my design the engine thread will probably have to
have a good scheduler and clean processing to optimise response
times.

--
Zach Collins