[MUD-Dev] Working with Franchises (was Star Wars Galaxies: 1 char per server)

Dave Rickey daver at mythicentertainment.com
Fri Jan 31 00:10:22 CET 2003

From: "Michael Tresca" <talien at toast.net>

> MMORPGs are not simply new products.  They are "experiences" with
> long life cycles.  So far, all I've seen is the rush to market
> approach -- grab as many customers as possible and then let the
> game flameout, ultimately losing customers to other MMORPGs in the
> same genre.

As near as I can tell, we don't.  I don't know what happened to EQ
when we launched, but I've been told that EQ barely caused a ripple
for UO, and I've seen first hand that AC2 and TSO didn't even touch
us.  I think I could calculate to within a hundred the number of
accounts lost to those two, and it's not a big enough number to make
me worry (actually, I have calculatesd it, I'm just not sure how
much confidence to put in it).  If SWG comes out and has a similarly
low impact, then I'll be pretty well convinced that competition from
other games is actually the *least* of our problems.

--Dave