[MUD-Dev] Greetings from Habbo Hotel

Matt Mihaly the_logos at achaea.com
Fri Jan 31 04:50:53 CET 2003

On Thu, 30 Jan 2003, Sulka Haro wrote:

> Assuming my knowledge of the usage numbers for other MUD's is up
> to date, Habbo is the number two MUD ever regarding the number of
> visitors, right after Lineage. This assuming Lineage is the only
> MUD with users going to millions? Please correct me if my
> assumption isn't right. For monthly visitors, let's just say we're
> bigger than what the latest claims I've seen from EA about UO and
> Sims Online, counted together.

The difference here is that most games don't count every user who
has ever created a character, especially when there is no barrier to
entry. You are comparing apples to oranges. If you want to count
things the way you are, Neopets has 40 million users. That is, of
course, a ridiculous figure as what they have is 40 million people
who have taken the 5 minutes necessary to actually create a
character.

We (Achaea) also do free, but commercial games. We're not as large
as you are, of course, but if we actually counted like you do, we
could brag that we have at least 50,000 players, or 10% the size of
Everquest approximately. That is, of course, a complete load of
crap. We peak at about 400 simultaneous players online
currently. Everquest peaks at what, 70,000 or so?

Counting registered players is a silly way of claiming to be a
certain size, and is blatantly misleading.

--matt