[MUD-Dev] MMO Launch issues ruining potential segments of th e market.

Jeff Fuller jfuller at originmail.com
Thu Jun 19 16:09:39 CEST 2003

[Derek Licciardi]

> EQ and DaoC seem to be the only long term extremely profitable
> MMOs out there this side of UO.

Planetside seems to be doing well and the servers are always active.

> Will SWG send a signal to investors/publishers/players that MMOs
> can only be accomplished with massive budgets and high profile
> licenses if it is the only successful launch of the year?

If SWG does well I think you will definately see more dollars goto
bringing other popular franchises online(Middle Earth, The Matrix).

Games with themes that people can grasp easily (because they are
already familar to them) generally tend to be the easiest to sell
not only to investors but consumers.

EQ, UO, and DAoC are derivitives of the same Orcs, Goblins, and
Elves fantasy everyone grows up with. It's easy to to grasp and
understand the environment. Orks are evil, elves are good and giants
are tall.

Planetside is a derivitive of the Tribes/Quake/Unreal Tournament
world.  Shoot or be shot.

Thats nothing new though, name 2 wildly original game worlds that
did really well with consumers in the past 5 years. Most games are
just new interfaces into the same old worlds.

That's not necessarily bad though. The less players have to learn
about the worlds, the easier they can immerse themselves into the
acctual game play.

Where you are still free to get creative is in the presentation of
the world to the user. Current and future world events, style of
game play, and avatar progression.