[MUD-Dev] Scripting languages

Smith Smith
Fri Jun 20 09:41:32 CEST 2003

On Sun, 25 May 2003, Jason Murdick wrote:

> Been working on a custom mud codebase and we're looking to include
> Lua and use tolua (to bind c/c++ objects).

I've been going quite a different direction (using the Boost
project's Boost.Python library & embedding the python interpretter).
But I certainly agree that an important issue is the ease of
exposing the game state to the scripting language (the use of
tolua).

One of my early design thoughts was to construct all the simulation
objects (those classes in the system representing parts of the game)
such that they maintained no state information, but used a database
internally. This would have allowed the scripting language to use
some external means (the mysql-python project for example) to access
the game-state. Unfortunately, this approach stuck too much DB code
throughout the system for my taste, so I dropped back to exposing
the simulation objects through Boost.Python to the script
interpretter.

Has anyone else tried an approach to scripting using a game to
database and interpretter to database interaction to expose
game-state to the interpretter? Any interesting problems crop up if
so?

-Dave