[MUD-Dev] Scripting languages

Lars Duening lars at bearnip.com
Fri Jun 20 11:59:17 CEST 2003

On Thursday, June 19, 2003, at 10:46 PM, Shu-yu Guo wrote:

> As a side note, I often notice that many developers try to write
> their own scripting language. That's a great way to express your
> skill, but I doubt some MUD developers can top a language
> development team. Why do so many people try to make their own
> while there are tons of good languages ready to be embedded?

NIH syndrom. Lack of knowledge about the other languages. Severe
underestimation of the time and effort it takes to create a usable
scripting language implementation.

And sometimes the language even does things no other existing
language does.

Lars Duening; lars at bearnip.com
GPG Key: http://www.bearnip.com/lars/lars-duening.gpgkey