[MUD-Dev] Horizons

Tess Snider malkin at terpalum.umd.edu
Fri Jun 20 12:00:19 CEST 2003

On Wed, 28 May 2003, Chris Holko wrote:

>> As far as I could see Horizons is trying to bring all the nice
>> content creation tools of MUDs into the MMORPG world.  Players
>> will be able to create their own 3D models and bring them in the
>> game,

> Considering the nature of current MMORPG players I doubt this will
> last, or won't have so many controls placed on its use that it may
> be more useless than useful.  The key problems are overly obvious,
> copyright infringement and pornographic.

Actually, I would have to disagree.  "There" (There.com) allows
this, and the system appears to be working fine in beta, to the
casual observer, at least.  They have staff members review designs,
and it costs resources (in-game money) to have a design reviewed, so
that people don't frivolously spam the reviewers with tons of
half-assed designs.

Staff review of player-made content isn't a new idea.  When I was a
wizard on AmberMUSH, we had a wizard whose sole purpose was to
inspect building before it could be linked to a public area.  I
would argue that for certain types of games -- especially ones
geared for Social-Explorer and Explorer-Social players --
player-made content is a HUGE win.

It may sound expensive to review player made content, but ask
yourself: What costs more: Reviewing player-made content, or
producing content?  Sure, not all of the player-made content will be
high quality, but if even only 5% of it is up to your standards, it
will still be less expensive than creating that same content,
in-house.  If you get too much junk-content, you can always tune the
submission requirements to raise the barrier of entry.

Tess