[MUD-Dev] Limited character lifespans

Peter Peter
Fri Jun 27 23:15:46 CEST 2003

Richard Krush <rkrush at gmx.net> wrote:

> I don't know whether anything like that exists or not, but I'd
> just like to ask why ysu don't want to have limited (in-game)
> lifespans for everybody?  Surely 50-100 years for humans in your
> MUD would be enough time. Depending on your in-game time speed,
> such lifetime could translate into several months to several years
> of real time. To make the death less horrifying to the players you
> can implement something like reproduction, allowing the players to
> have a child and then choose to reincarnate as that child when
> they die. The child might have a talent for something his/her
> parents were adept at and might have the attribute picked from
> both parents as well as race, etc. And of course in that way the
> dying father could pass on his riches, equipment, house, etc. to
> the child, if your MUD allows something like that.

Fantastic idea - i actually liked it very much in "Europa 1400: The
Guild", where met such idea for the first time. And i liked it very
much!  It just gave me the possibility to start my character over
again, trying something quite else, or trying to avoid the same
mistakes as i did in my last reincarnation, without actually
starting over again.  Now, transfered to MMOG's, that would change
the whole gamestyle, eventually bring players as they try to find
the right partner etc.  Could eventually help to solve the Only 1
char per server problem :) Anyone tryied something similar?