[MUD-Dev] The Price of Being Male

Byron Ellacott bje at apnic.net
Mon Jun 30 09:56:30 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-06-29 at 07:57, Rayzam wrote:

> Will players pay for special appearances? Probably again. This is
> a revenue stream that can be followed by others. Granted I don't
> know if it's currently occurring in games [There, Furcadia].

Evidence from my MUD suggests they will.  We allow players to rename
their objects by spending gold and quest points.  The rate of sales
has been limited by availability of the service, and availability of
quest points.

In my brief time in There, I felt faint social pressure to change my
appearance from the stock blue jeans and white tee -- I was asked
several times when I planned to buy new clothing -- but the very
limited ThereBucks and the high relative cost of clothing
discouraged me.

In the Star Wars Galaxies, people DID pay for new clothing; not just
armor, but actual clothing, serving no purpose but appearance.

--
Byron Ellacott <bje at apnic.net>
APNIC