[MUD-Dev] MMO Launch issues ruining potential segments of the market.

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Mon Jun 30 10:07:01 CEST 2003

From: Matt Mihaly [mailto:the_logos at achaea.com]
> On Thu, 19 Jun 2003, Chris Holko wrote:

>> PvP works when investment in character isn't as meaningful as
>> found in most MMOs.  Planetside is interesting, but I can't see
>> paying for what is essentially Tribes+Quake+CounterStrike.

> Lots of other people are though. Similarly, we've been around and
> growing since 1997, though our games focus on more than just
> player killing.

Slightly drifting off topic here, but the most startling thing for
me about Planetside is the complete absence of trash talk between
combatents. Maybe its different because I play on the Euro server,
but the worst I've had was grudging respect for a well executed
kill.

Makes me wonder whether DAoCs policy of no interteam chat was
necessary?  Perhaps with death being more expensive people take it
more personally. If that is the case, then a simple solution would
be to make pvp death a lot cheaper.

Only problem I have with planetside is people cheat, by manipulating
graphics card settings, to reveal stealthed players. Oh that and the
fact that its actually pretty shallow, but then again so is Quake
and Unreal Tournament.

Dan