[MUD-Dev] A Founding Father Forgotten

Travis Casey efindel at earthlink.net
Fri Mar 21 09:47:18 CET 2003

Thursday, March 20, 2003, 9:37:05 AM, Adam Dray wrote:

>>> Which time?  As I recall, he left around 1980 but later did some
>>> work for TSR in the mid- to late part of the decade.  :)

>> Late '70s, early '80s -- the one he created right after leaving
>> TSR.

> Are you talking about The First Fantasy Campaign (1977)?  That was
> not a complete RPG, if I recall, but just a campaign set.  I find
> no reference to any RPG Arneson created (other than D&D) in Heroic
> Worlds.

It's in Heroic Worlds... at least in the copy I have.  He's one of
two authors, but he was the primary author.

Thursday, March 20, 2003, 8:14:30 PM, Michael Tresca wrote:

> Thieve's World?

> I cheated:

>   http://www.pen-paper.net/rpgdb.php?op=showcreator&creatorid=1764

Interesting.  Checked out that page, and it's not listed there, and
it doesn't have an entry in Pen & Paper -- but it is listed in
Heroic Worlds, and since I own a copy, I know it did exist...

The answer is: "Adventures in Fantasy".  Interestingly, Arneson
doesn't mention it in his own web pages.  You can find it mentioned
in a few places on the web:

  RPG Encyclopedia (the A section):
    http://www.darkshire.org/~jhkim/rpg/encyclopedia/alphabetical/A.html

  His biography under the D&D Movie pages at WotC's web site:
    http://www.wizards.com/dnd/Movie_Bio.asp

... and a few more.  No review of the game anywhere that I can find,
though.

--
Travis Casey
efindel at earthlink.net