[MUD-Dev] Fighting Lag

Brian Hook brianhook at pyrogon.com
Fri Mar 21 09:23:10 CET 2003

On Fri, 21 Mar 2003 01:49:14 -0700, Bruce Mitchener wrote:

> Enet also provides a pretty good set of networking features and is
> under a nicely liberal license (MIT/X11).

I just wanted to add my recommendation for ENet.  It is an extremely
small and elegant library that manages to straddle the exact proper
line between high level network management and low level support.
It's at a low enough level that adding basic features like
compression and encryption is pretty easy, but at a high enough
level that you're not encumbered with minutiae when trying to get
basic stuff going.

It also has pretty good performance characteristics.  It may have
issues scaling up to thousands of persistent players, but those are
known issues and can be addressed once it's actually used in that
context.  For anyone seriously considering ENet for that type of
application, it would be assumed they would have the resources to
either fix it themselves and contribute a patch or, at the very
least, pitching Lee (it's author) a few bucks to put in that
support.  Or if you're really cheap, just whining about it on the
ENet list until someone gets around to it =)

Brian