[MUD-Dev] D&D vs. MMORPG "complexity"

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Sat May 3 14:57:28 CEST 2003

In <URL:/archives/meow?group+local.muddev> on Wed 30 Apr, Paul Canniff wrote:
> From: Jeff Cole [mailto:jeff.cole at mindspring.com]

>> I am not sure in what way you consider water "fungible".  The
>> fact that companies can charge a significant price for bottled
>> water is evidence that water is not fungible, let alone highly
>> so.

We can expect to see 'water wars' within the next several decades
though perhaps not exactly open warfare yet, though there are some
situations where it may come to that. Turkey rerouting some rivers
is going to bring it in direct conflict with Syria and Israel who
depend on those same rivers for drinking water an irrigation.  Or in
the US where excessive use of water causes rivers and lakes to dry
up that other cities or states rely on. And I'm not even talk- ing
about pollution which may leave water unusable furher down the
stream.

We also see a situation where in some cities the presence of air
that is breathable (and healthy) is beginning to be a problem. One
way or another that will have to be resolved, and while it likely is
not going to be a case of oxygen cannisters in the local shops,
relocation and decrease of air pollution is going to cost.

> Most game "loot" seems to be VERY fungible -- you sell it for
> gold, assuming it isn't a weapon/armor/item/ingredient drop for
> you or your guild.  I play DAOC a lot these days and I wish more
> of the stuff that dropped off monsters had some place in the
> economy.  Most items are just gold, with flavor text and weight
> added.  Everyone from the stable master to the poison merchant
> pays the same price for wolf hides or beetle carapaces.  Thus
> there is no incentive to carry anything further than you need to,
> which is admittedly a benefit to those who prefer an efficient
> treadmill.  I wonder if players would enjoy a system with
> designer-scripted location-based demand, or simply view it as a
> burden.

Most likely there are some who would find it a burden and complain
bitterly about it, while others would leap on the opportunity to
explore another aspect of the game world.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey