[MUD-Dev] Flow of messages

Ammon Lauritzen ammon at simud.org
Wed May 7 00:26:45 CEST 2003

On Fri, 2 May 2003, sanxion sanxion wrote:

> I have come to the understanding that most muds process messages
> in the same function/method. This seems fairly inflexible to
> me. Anyone agree or disagree? Is the model I'm using something to
> extend upon or are there better solutions? Perhaps someone could
> give me a breakdown of what they use and if I'm out hiking?

I'm kind of curious as to what the heck you just tried to say,
actually ;)

Most muds are relatively inflexible as it is. Yes, they tend to have
a very limited number of functions used for messaging, but as the
only information being sent to the client is text, what more do you
need?

On our lib, we have 3 sefuns we call to send data to the
players. They are:

  msg(string) - sends the text to the active object
  msg_object(object,string) - send the text to a speficic object
  msg_all(string) - send the text to all objects in the environment of
                    the active object

What else would we need?

Events and log messages can't take the same text as a message that
is being sent to the client, so they've got to be separate method
calls anyways. So I don't see what you're getting at.

--
Ammon Lauritzen
http://www.simud.org/