[MUD-Dev] Who Killed Miss Norway?

Steven J. Owens puffmail at darksleep.com
Thu May 8 03:43:30 CEST 2003

On Fri, May 02, 2003 at 11:04:29AM +0100, Gubbs wrote:

> The death of a player is largely irrelevant in a transient fantasy
> world.  People come and go, if you're player base are more
> concerned with the RL events proported, not neccesarily well
> documented happings surrounding a particular player then
> ultimately what you have is a talker and not a RP game at all.

I'd say that's a critical point, and one I suspect is often
overlooked.  Like it or not, by definition these things are MULTI
user, and that means that, by definition, they're a medium for
social interaction.  I think it's a mistake to think you can (or
should) exclude that dimension from the game, when you should,
instead, be structuring your game design to take advantage of it.

> Obviously the strength of that argument varies dependant on the
> theme of the MUD/MUSH/MOO etc. But largely it is a source of mild
> to severe annoyance to many people in RP muds ..

There's a subtle, but important distinction between thematic issues
and the social dimension of the medium.  Blatantly unthematic
behavior and discussion damage suspension-of-disbelief of other
players, which is probably the major source of annoyance.

Steven J. Owens
puff at darksleep.com

 Take it all with a grain of salt." - Me at http://darksleep.com