[MUD-Dev] UDP vs TCP for MUD/MMORPG project.

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Thu May 15 00:41:27 CEST 2003

On Thu, 08 May 2003 15:30:00 -0400
Jason Slaughter <rexrhino at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Is this true??? Is UDP really that big of a problem? It seems like
> scare-mongering to me, or that people are just so used to TCP that
> they don't know any different... but my technical knowledge of the
> subject isn't great (I am doing this as a learning project), so I
> could be totally wrong. I would greatly appreciate people's advice!

Some strong recommendations:

  1) Buy a copy of Stevens' "TCP/IP Illustrated" and read it, at least
  twice.  If you're not fond of Stevens, then get Comer's similar 3
  volume TCP/IP set.  Either will do.  Both are invaluable if you are
  going to do anything with network code, and readily available on the
  second hand market.

    a) Do some reading about how NAT and PAT work, what stateful
    filtering really is, and make sure you understand what that means in
    regard to common deployments.  An hour or two spent with Google
    should leave you knowing more than you need.

    b) Also hit Google on NAT device port prediction and how various
    services are attempting to use that to get UDP streams through
    firewalls etc (eg VoIP, game state messages, etc)

  2) Check the MUD-Dev Archives, and the Library At Kanga.Nu.  This has
  been discussed extensively before.

  3) Look into things like ENet (I think already recommended), and make
  sure you understand, in detail, how it is able to offer various middle
  grounds between standard UDP and TCP behaviour in terms of guarantees.

Writing as list owner:

  I'm trimming and rejecting most of the replies to this post, not
  because they are off-topic, but due to repetition of data and advice
  already posted by others.

--
J C Lawrence