[MUD-Dev] Who Killed Miss Norway?

Jeff Bachtel jeff at cepheid.org
Thu May 15 10:23:20 CEST 2003

On Sat, May 10, 2003 at 03:40:16PM -0400, Threshold RPG wrote:
> On 9 May 2003, at 21:25, Geir Ove Alnes wrote:

>> I haven't experienced anything like this myself, but I think that
>> if a friend of mine (real life-friend OR one I only knew through
>> an online game) passed away I would be grateful to the admins of
>> that game for putting up a memorial.

> So hundreds, if not thousands or even hundreds of thousands should
> have their enjoyment of the game (and enjoyment is the intended
> purpose of the game's existence) so you can "feel grateful"?

I'm assuming that was "should have their enjoyment of the game
lessened".

> In my opinion, those who think games should create such memorials
> are being very selfish. They are putting their personal feelings
> ahead of the purpose of the game and the enjoyment of the masses
> who play there.

There is ALWAYS a link between the role and the player behind it. In
P&P, you're chatting across the table, eating cheetohs, and maybe
BSing about movies or die rolls. In Armageddon MUD, you chat on the
forum boards, and go OOC when two people (not characters) need to
decide how an issue will be resolved. In Achaea, you have
player-to-player interaction via tells. In Threshold, you go OOC
behind the admin's back or wait until you can use the citizen
channel.  So in a sense, the "purpose of the game" is always, to
some extend, the personal interactions among players (not
characters).

The point is, you cannot destroy this link between people and
characters, and trying to do so will foster resentment. If memorials
come up as being desired by a large percentage of the playerbase,
then the player in question probably positively affected many other
players (and characters). Regardless, a small memorial off the
beaten path with a tablet of those to be remembered, shouldn't
adversely affect the enjoyment of so-called "hardcore
roleplayers"... they can simply avoid travelling to that memorial
and reading the names.

jeff