[MUD-Dev] D&D vs. MMORPG "complexity"

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Thu May 15 22:28:25 CEST 2003

On Thu 15 May, Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:
> From: Dave Rickey [mailto:mahrinskel at brokentoys.org]

>> I have seen evidence that strongly indicates that empowerment
>> *is* a prime mover, in Camelot at least.

The problem that I see with this sort of statement is that you have
a sampling that is rigged. Or at least that has the potential to be
rigged.  What I mean is  that if the game is highly geared  towards
achievers, then other players are not going to stick around because
the game offers less to their playing style.  After a while you end
up with a population that consists mostly of achievers and any sur-
vey you do would be skewed towards giving you information about the
wants and interests of achievers, not of gameplayers as a whole.
The reverse can be observed on a roleplaying game like PernMush. It
is highly geared towards social play  and you will find very few of
the other playing styles there.  Using that game as a study you can
come to the conclusion that power is largely irrelevant to players,
but  that social interaction is the big draw.  Studying games  like
Doom or Unreal  you would come to yet other conclusions  about what
the players like and want.

I am not exactly discreting your conclusions,  but I feel it is not
very safe to extend them to all games,  or even all game economies.
(Houses in Ultima are not about power, but they do play  a very im-
portant role in that game's economy)

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,