[MUD-Dev] Database vs. Disk

Hans-Henrik Staerfeldt hhs at cbs.dtu.dk
Sun May 18 12:18:38 CEST 2003

On Saturday 17 May 2003 17:03, Tom wrote:

> I'm sure this has been addressed before, although I haven't found
> anything really direct so far. Aside from conjecture, does anyone
> have some practical experience using a database as opposed to disk
> for storing MUD objects, or projects and experience similar
> enough.

At my work, we have recently started using very large scale
relational databases, so heres my 2 Dkr.

If your choice is between a homebrewed index where you get your
information on and off disk at the same rate you would using mySQL,
with proper configuration, (enabling the indexes to reside in
memory) generation of indexes on the right fields, and if possible
static record lengths, and using 'update' to change information, i
would not expect a drastic performance drop, if any (given your own
system is good). So, yes, its worth considering. I would be hesitant
to using it (any disk based system really) without some kind of
caching of objects into memory, im not sure how/if mySQL's
querycache would be able handle that fast enough, but I feel it
would also be something worth researching as a solution

--Hans-Henrik Stærfeldt