[MUD-Dev] Male and female brains

Valerio Santinelli tanis at mediacom.it
Tue May 20 19:58:01 CEST 2003

John Arras wrote:
> On Wed, 7 May 2003, Marian Griffith wrote:

>> I still maintain that there is such things as a "girls like this"
>> or "boys like that" possible. Considering the way games are
>> marketed almost to the deliberate exclusion of girls, it is a
>> surprise to find any girl playing games at all.  Of those that do
>> they are conditioned in two directions. By the game that strong-
>> ly focus on violent competitive subjects with a high degree of
>> spa- tial coordination (which boys tend to excell at) while
>> society and culture strongly disapprove of such an interest in
>> girls.  I do not know if girls play The Sims because they enjoy
>> it or because it is one of the few games that is socially
>> acceptable for them to play, and that is actually marketed
>> towards girls as well.

> Why do girls play with dolls and boys play with action figures?

> I don't know for sure, but I think whatever causes that to happen
> is the same mechanism at work here. And I know I'm stereotyping,
> but this is what I remember from my childhood, and just about
> every other child I've ever seen. I don't know if we're hardwired
> that way, or society makes us play in those ways, but it's
> probably the same underlying principle that makes the Sims is so
> popular with girls and women.

That's not completely true. I know lots of girls who would have
loved to play with actions figures and cars and so on but whose
parents didn't want to buy for them. I think this is more due to the
fact that parents usually think that girls should play with dolls
and boys with action figures, not due to the child's desire (at
least not entirely).

--
c'ya!

Valerio Santinelli