[MUD-Dev] Who Killed Miss Norway?

Marian Griffith gryphon at iaehv.nl
Wed May 21 23:01:51 CEST 2003

On Tue 20 May, Threshold RPG wrote:
> On 15 May 2003, at 22:14, Marian Griffith wrote:

>> I am sorry, but I fail to see why anybody's enjoyment of a game
>> would be diminished by the presence of a monument.

> Because it makes them think of something sad and depressing. It
> reminds them of tragedies in their own lives and forces them to
> relive them.

> Instead of logging on and having fun, they are faced with a very
> depressing thing.

It may be different where you live,  but in my part of the world
cities often have lots of statues to remember dead people. There
also are graveyards  around the older churches,  and some cities
are in and of themselves  memorials of horrible things that have
been done in the past, yet those do not make people sad (or more
sad). Memorials are reminding people of a sad occasion, but that
is not automatically a bad thing,  as they also can help them to
deal with the grief, and remind them of the positive things that
the person they are remembering brought to their lives. This has
nothing to do with selfishness or anything,  but is an essential
part of dealing with loss and grief.  However, such memorials do
have to have a special place both spatially and ritually. You do
not stick them in the market square, that I agree with.

Marian
will there be loneliness ...

Rolan Choosing Talia,
Arrows of the Queen, by Mercedes Lackey