[MUD-Dev] Who Killed Miss Norway?

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Thu May 22 09:17:06 CEST 2003

From: Ghovs [mailto:ghovs at plex.nl]

> And to even argue in favor of such monuments, they add to a world,
> by marking its history. History contains a lot of dead people who
> were killed when we didn't want them to die, but they should be
> remembered, so that their ideals, their effect on the world,
> retain momentum. There's nothing like a historical figure, a
> remembered hero, statesman or artisan, to inspire people. It
> enables one to carry out a culture, an immersive world, with far
> greater depth.

You make a good point in saying that they mark a worlds
history. Having said that, if the person died in the real world,
that doesn't have a lot to do with the game worlds history imho -
people come in and out of these games all the time, the reason is
not that important. I'd go as far as to say that it is a fiction
braker to have cross world monuments.

Beyond that, if a game does make it policy, its likely to be
exploited by players wanting their own statue anyway, so it strikes
me as a non starter in the first place.

Personally I'd like in game monuments, but only in commemoration of
in game achievements. That would be one step on the road to giving
these worlds a proper evolving history.

Dan