[MUD-Dev] Database vs. Disk

Zach Collins {Siege} zcollins at seidata.com
Thu May 22 16:06:37 CEST 2003

On Thu, 22 May 2003, Nicolai Hansen wrote:

> Despite my search I have never encountered a database that allowed
> me to store an object. I always have to write Object.Save() /
> Object.Load() methods which is a pain, especially when you want to
> change stuff.

I believe a number of interpreted languages offer object
serialization - Python and Java at the very least - but compiled
languages like C++ tend not to have options like that by default.
In part, I think, this is because objects are more complex after
compile-time than the sum of their parts as coded, so that you have
to pick and choose what gets serialized and how.

--
Zach Collins