[MUD-Dev] Thoughts on a simplified multiplayer game.

Christopher Allen ChristopherA at skotos.net
Thu May 22 23:19:31 CEST 2003

Jason Slaughter <rexrhino at hotmail.com> wrote:

> My basic design goal: To design an easy to use multiplayer online
> game, with it's own graphical client. The goal for the client is
> to automate, simplify, and streamline game play, to eliminate
> typing MUD style commands (or to cut them down to a bare minimum),
> as well as display an attractive graphical map to help in
> navigation (one of the difficulties I have with text based muds is
> navigation. Without some sort of spatial representation, I get
> lost.). The other goal of the client is to keep it small and
> easily downloadable, and to keep the system requirements quite
> low.

I recommend that you take a look at the Alice client at Skotos (30
day free trial) -- in particular, look at how it is used in Castle
Marrach and in Grendel's Revenge.

It is an Active-X client (i.e. no install required, though it will
only work in Internet Explorer, but that is 85% of the visitors to
Skotos) sits on a web page and commincates with it. The web page can
have widgits that send info to the server through Alice, and Alice
can use DOM to change the web page. It is quite powerful and simple
client because we are leveraging the web.

You probably have more ambitious goals for your client, but it would
be a good baseline to look at.

-- Christopher Allen