[MUD-Dev] Database vs. Disk

J C Lawrence claw at kanga.nu
Fri May 23 01:10:28 CEST 2003

On Thu, 22 May 2003 20:08:54 -0600
Kwon Ekstrom <justice at softhome.net> wrote:
> From: "Nicolai Hansen" <nic at aub.dk>
>> Bruce wrote:

> I've personally found that at the small to medium scale that
> performance is better with a file based system.

20 years ago one of the big fights in the MUD server world was
whether disk-based systems could perform even marginally as well as
in-memory systems.  At that time Marcus Ranum wrote UnterMUD and
UberMUD, both of which used disk-based databases for game content
while (in several cases) offering significantly better performance
and scalability than the then common in-memory systems (cf MOO).

--
J C Lawrence