[MUD-Dev] Horizons

Valerio Santinelli tanis at mediacom.it
Sat May 24 13:37:35 CEST 2003

Matt Mihaly wrote:
> On Wed, 21 May 2003, Valerio Santinelli wrote:

>> Players will be able to create their own 3D models and bring them
>> in the game, and buy territories and build castles upon them and
>> so on.

> How are they going to

>   a) Ensure that 99% of those models are never seen by other
>   players (since they will be crap).

>   b) Ensure that 99% of the models players WANT to create are not
>   allowed into the game (imagine the constant client updates).

Here's what I learned from David about those issues: when you create
a model and place it in the game, nobody will be able to see it
except people you're distributing your model to. So, if you've not
got that model by downloading it from somewhere, you're not going to
see it in the game.

I don't know if there's going to be some sort of "default" model for
things that you cannot see the way they are.

What they're also going to do is take the most interesting models
and bring them into the game in the usual game updates, so if you're
skilled enough to make good models you're probably going to have
them accepted into the game for everyone's enjoyment.

--
c'ya!

Valerio Santinelli
tanis at mediacom.it