[MUD-Dev] Web vs. Java client

Baar - Lord of the Seven Suns baar at imperian.com
Mon Nov 3 00:22:06 CET 2003

On Fri, 24 Oct 2003, Christopher Allen wrote:
> Christopher Kohnert wrote:

>> But, on the whole, you can get quite a lot of functionality out
>> of a 1.1 Java applet and be pretty sure it'll work almost
>> everywhere. There are tons of tiny discrepancies, but they are
>> easily worked around.

> Our experience has been entirely the opposite. We even have a Sun
> engineer who is a player who has been helping us, and he'd been
> having a hard time.

> The biggest problem is the Macintosh, which is the most important
> platform other then Windows. We constantly have to fight scrolling
> problems, text entry problems, and other UI issues, as well as
> performance issues and DCOM communication to the web page the Java
> is embedded in -- for every new release, as well as supporting old
> releases.

I don't use anything BUT Macs and the client that Christopher
Kohnert mentions above runs quite smoothly in Safari. With IE for
Macs dead Safari has become a mainstream Mac browser. I haven't
experienced with it any of the issues above, though I haven't used
it for hours on end, but maybe now is the time to start. *Considers
reworking all his triggers and isn't so sure anymore.*

David