[MUD-Dev] Web vs. Java client

Ben Greear greearb at candelatech.com
Mon Nov 10 21:26:40 CET 2003

Mark 'Kamikaze' Hughes wrote:

> That's definitely in the "griefer" category to me.  If you run a
> bot to "help" you in combat in an FPS, you're a cheater; try that
> at a LAN center, and you'll be kicked out and banned for life, and
> kids are likely to beat each other up over it.  I can't see how
> it's any less cheating in a MUD; high-speed combat is less common,
> so it doesn't come up as much, is all.

If magic is working with arcane runes and powers invisible to most
mortals, how much different is that from getting your perl script to
help you in battle? :)

A warrior/athlete may do the same repetitive exercises every day of
their life.  The gain is only miniscule from day to day, and
eventually, the gain will only be lessening the decline.  That is
not so different from a harvester script.

Others will revel in the prestige that comes from winning even
without the latest gadgets & technologies.  The hunter that can
bring down a deer with bow and arrow at 50 yards has more of my
respect than a person who can do the same with a high-powered rifle.
And I have zero respect for those who hunt with RPGs!  And, if/when
the world (or your script) goes to hell, the guy who can hunt with a
bow can probably make his own bow, and may yet reign supreme.

So, I think scripting support fits quite nicely in MUDs.

Ben

--
Ben Greear <greearb at candelatech.com>