[MUD-Dev] MMORPG: where to start for making and running a gam e

Derek Licciardi kressilac at insightbb.com
Thu Nov 13 18:53:42 CET 2003

From: Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
> From: Dave Rickey [mailto:dave at mutablerealms.com]

>> I dream of floundering like SWG.  300K and counting, last I
>> heard. Please, God, visit such misfortune upon me.

> Has anyone got figures to contrast that with the other reasonably
> high profile games?

Good luck getting anything of the sort.  There are a few reports
from research firms out there, though you'll have to pony up as much
as three grand for them.  Over the past three years while we have
been looking for funding, there has been very little released with
respect to how well an MMO does on what subscriptions.  Outside of
the research reports there has been very little marketing data to go
with it as well.  Forget any type of comparison and contrast
figures.  Information on how profitable these games are is hard to
come by and all you'll hear at GDC is how none of them make any
money.  *chuckle*

Derek