[MUD-Dev] MMORPG: where to start for making and running a game

Patricia Pizer ppizer at videotron.ca
Tue Nov 18 13:03:50 CET 2003

Lee wrote:

> URU and Matrix Online will be interesting to watch. Here we have
> two smaller, more focused developers (Cyan and Monolith
> respectively), responsible for high-quality, successful
> single-player games whose MMO staffs appear to be all
> single-player people, too.

While Uru certainly falls into this category, The Matrix doesn't
really.  The dev team for the Matrix is headed by Toby Ragaini
(Asheron's Call Lead Designer) and includes Geoff Zatkin (EQ), both
of whom have a great deal of MMO experience. Having worked with both
teams, I think the Matrix team has the invaluable advantage of not
having to learn the same damn lessons from scratch, a problem which
plagued the Shadowbane team and continues to challenge Cyan.

An insider perspective-

p.