[MUD-Dev] MMORPG: where to start for making and running a game

Oliver Smith oli at kfs.org
Tue Nov 18 15:08:04 CET 2003

Lee Sheldon:
> Oliver Smith:

>> As the launch and flounder of SWG shows, you can't simply cobble
>> together a bunch of single-player game-developers and make an MMO
>> - even if you have a little MMO experience behind it.

> This statement has already sparked a couple of replies. It sure
> sounds like it is simply re-stating acknowledged fact, but there
> is no evidence of that.  I too would be curious to know real
> figures, but it won't be easy to get them. The only thing players
> have to go on is anecdotal, messages on the boards like "Everybody
> on my friends list is offline" and "All my guild left and went
> back to EQ" or the fact that servers that were once marked before
> the character creation screen as "heavy" are now "medium" or
> "light."

I've not had access to my mail folders for a while, pardon my
resuscitating an old thread.

I don't mean to infer SWG has flopped.

  Flounder: 1) to struggle to move or obtain footing : thrash about
  wildly or 2) to proceed or act clumsily or ineffectually

The evidence is still only annecdotal, but there seemed to be a
distinct ... lack ... of evidence for glowing success.

In a still expanding market, the StarWars MMO ought likely to be
king, especially caught, as we are, between episodes.

The 300,000 figure is impressive for an MMO, but is it impressive
for a StarWars branded product?

The international relocation which hampered my mail access has
similarly distracted me from further observing the continuing saga
of an MMOG in a city no-longer far away. So I don't know if they've
since doubled that figure =)

- Oliver