[MUD-Dev] Second Life's customers own the IP of their creatio ns

Christer Enfors XW {TN/PAC} christer.xw.enfors at ericsson.com
Fri Nov 21 08:13:00 CET 2003

Lee Sheldon wrote:
> Christer Enfors wrote:

>> I'm most likely wrong on this, but I always thought that the
>> author of something (say, an object in Second Life) always own
>> copyright (IP == copyright?) on it. Just because the terms of
>> service may say otherwise, that doesn't supercede copyright law,
>> does it?

>> So if I'm right, this doesn't really change anything. Authors
>> have always owned their work, even if the producers of the
>> authors' tools don't realise this.

> Screenwriters routinely sign away their copyrights on every
> television or film script they write. Whether somebody clicking I
> Agree to a TOS is equal under the law to these signed contracts, I
> don't know. But there's certainly lots of precedent for authors
> -not- retaining copyright to their own work.

Right, the operative words being "sign away". In the online world,
we don't sign anything - we click "I agree". I've heard that it
takes nothing less than a signed contract to give away copyright on
something. If that's true, Second Life never had copyright / IP of
the objects players create in the first place.