[MUD-Dev] Re: A world without charity

Michael Tresca talien at toast.net
Wed Nov 26 16:55:01 CET 2003

Ola Fosheim Grostad [mailto:olag at ifi.uio.no] posted on Tuesday,
November 25, 2003 5:10 PM

> You miss out on the effect of having an "uber-item" waiting for
> you in the bank. Which in turn is an incentiv to stay in the game,
> a goal that brings meaning to leveling etc, and you get this
> powerful release of happiness when finally being able to wield the
> uber-item. Some days should be special. :)

Whew, Ola, that's an old thread. Okay, trying to remember back
here...

I'd argue that by having equipment that scales, it is still waiting
for you in the bank.  Basically, you have an item that could be much
better -- and as you level, it IS much better.  Maybe I didn't
clarify.

On RetroMUD, a magic item has a range of potential based on your
level.  As the player progresses, he is able to use more and more of
the item (stat bonuses, damage bonuses, etc.) until he reaches the
item's full potential.  Thus, it's still a big deal if a high level
character gives a low level character an item.  But it's an
investment, not an immediate pay off.

So technically, you do get the powerful release of happiness when
you reach the item's full potential.

"WOOHOO!  I just hit 45th level and now I get +4 to Strength, +4 to
damage, and my weapon has a rating of 90!"

Mike "Talien" Tresca
RetroMUD Administrator
http://michael.tresca.net