[MUD-Dev] [DGN]: Ludicrous scheme.

Michael Chui blizzard36_2002 at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 4 23:33:01 CEST 2003

--- Yaka St. Aise <yaka at st-aise.com> wrote:

> What are the odds of succesfully translating a graphical MUD
> (MMORPG) project into a text-mode MUD ?

I'd say it's dependent on the design stage. If you design a MUD and
don't expect to translate it from graphical to textual or vice
versa, it will be hard, if not impossible, to make the switch.

On the other hand, if you begin your MUD design with that in mind,
it may be very easy.

The single largest difference (as far as I can see) between textual
MUDs and graphical ones are the Room concept. If you eliminated it,
then many textual MUDs would essentially be graphical MUDs without
the graphics. (A coordinate system would probably solve this.) The
next largest difference would be Interface. Streamline that to work
for both worlds and you'll practically have a game that can be
graphical or textual.

If you can translate every command in your graphical interface into
a human-readable text, or every textual command into a graphical
representation, then ultimately you can do it.

Perhaps if you think of it as Graphical is to Movies as Textual is
to Novels? While it's clear that comparing a MUD to a novel is
erroneous, using it as an analogy of mediums isn't that bad, either.

And yes, I am working on a text-based game that can potentially be
translated into a graphical game. :) Theoretically, if designed
properly, the greatest difference between the two games is
computational power necessary on client-side.

Theoretically. I definitely fall into the inexperienced category, so
I'm probably missing something essential...

-Michael Chui