[MUD-Dev] [DGN]: Ludicrous scheme.

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Fri Sep 5 00:11:28 CEST 2003

On Thursday, September 4, 2003, at 01:49 AM, Yaka St.Aise wrote:

> What are the odds of succesfully translating a graphical MUD
> (MMORPG) project into a text-mode MUD ?

I'll evade by tossing out a related question:

What's the current thinking about a MUD/MMO world with multiple
types of client?  3D, 2D isometric, text, telephone,
etc. *simultaneously*.

I know AO has a way to enter in-game chat channels without logging
into the game, but I think there's more that might be handy.  For
example, I might have a whiz-bang 3D gaming box at home.  While
travelling I might have an old Celeron laptop (or my Mac running
VirtualPC, or whatever--something without much 3D capability).
While waiting for a train, I might have my phone with a teensy
little WAP browser.

I can see being quite happy using, say, a 2D map or isometric view
on the underpowered laptop for stuff like chatting with guildmates,
shopping, doing various in-game tasks that don't require bump-mapped
vertex-shaded chrome with surround sound, as much as I might enjoy
it at home on the gaming box.  For games with in-game email (such as
SWG), I definitely see a place for text-only (or gatewayed)
interaction.

This is one area where I think the "game as immersive movie" analogy
breaks down.  If these are virtual worlds we're building, shouldn't
alternative presentation styles be possible?

Amanda Walker