[MUD-Dev] ghost mode (was Re: SW:G)

Tess Lowe tess at soulsong.org.uk
Wed Sep 10 00:16:23 CEST 2003

Amanda Walker wrote:

> Speaking personally, I'd love a game with a "ghost" mode.  In
> ghost mode, forget the advancement ladder, just fly around
> sightseeing.

At the risk of performing a 'me too', this absolutely strikes a
chord with me. When I play any sort of adventure game, be they text
or graphical, single player or online, the one thing that draws me
on is the desire to be able to see all the content at will.

If I engage in levelling, it's so I can see more stuff without
having to fear being killed and losing the work I put in to get
there. Therefore the opportunity to go anywhere and see anything
even invisibly (perhaps especially invisibly) would remove all
need/motivation to level up at anything greater than
Sunday-afternoon stroll pace (the rate which I would consider
'fun').

Given the choice therefore I always choose the character types that
can teleport. Given the choice I always max transportation skills
before anything else. But I'm not usually given the choice. I quit
EQ after only 2 months because I wasn't given that flexibility. I
quit Asheron's Call 2 for the same reason, and numerous others. I
have no interest in levels or skills or loot or even in exploring. I
just want to find a nice spot and kick back with friends.

One might wonder if a game would lose its appeal if I had the
ability to go anywhere and view everything. In my experience this is
not the case. The virtual environment simply becomes an increasingly
comfortable place to hang out, as more freedom of movement and
security (ie protection against losing earned abilities) is
acquired. In the instance where I had the privilege to play an
immortal character in a major commercial MUD, visiting all the
places I would have died as a mortal never got old.

I dont want always want to be able to change these worlds
particularly - at least not physically (culturally and politically
is another matter) - but just let me fly freely over the landscape
and watch those who enjoy the levelling, and chat with my friends,
and I will be entirely content to part with my subscription every
month.

~Tess Lowe