[MUD-Dev] BIZ: Who holds your cahonas in their hand? (runs yourinfrastructure...; )

Crosbie Fitch crosbie at cyberspaceengineers.org
Wed Sep 10 01:08:48 CEST 2003

From: Adam M

> In general, a commercial MMOG that lets someone else run the
> servers is either truly desperate or just naive.

Hmmmn. I must admit, I'm a bit new to the idea of outsourcing the
infrastructure, but at the time I composed my post it seemed like a
reasonable way of shifting responsibility and perhaps going some way
to solving some of the litigation issues.

I'd far rather let the player provide the infrastructure (p2p,
distributed systems, yada yada...), but that's another story.

> In the past, senior execs at some big corporates involved
> tangentially in this market have told me privately that, based on
> their combined experience of many other IT markets, it's only the
> infrastructure that's worth controlling.

Online theme parks.

I guess they have a place in the big scheme of things.

> the rest is too hard, too risky, too low margin.

Yes. For THEM!