[MUD-Dev] ghost mode

Tess Lowe tess at soulsong.org.uk
Wed Sep 10 16:29:37 CEST 2003

Justin Coleman wrote:

> Imagine a group of adventurers navigating a tough dungeon, getting
> surprised by monsters and traps, and fighting for their very
> survival. Then imagine that same group, in constant communication
> with a "ghost-mode" player who can go anywhere they want without
> risk, can see everything, and thus can inform the party of any
> lurking "surprises", greatly reducing the challenge designed into
> the area.

> Grossly unfair to those who do things "right", i.e. in character,
> seeing and hearing only what their character can see and hear,
> wouldn't you say?

I think that depends on whether there's a necessary advantage from
being able to 'see everything'. Is success in an encounter with mobs
always going to be down to seeing what's around the next corner? Or
is it more due to individual player skill and group cohesiveness?
Are there any character types out there that have True Vision type
skills? Why is this not a valid play style?

If we really can't have a ghost mode due to potential abuse by
achievers trying to see what's coming (though why that's so terrible
I have no idea), perhaps this play style could be incorporated into
the game from the start?  eg Generals with a strategic overview of
their entire group in a dungeon, or characters whose primary skills
involve flying, espionage and personal safety, not deathdealing ;)

But no, I dont see that it's "unfair to those who do things
'right'". What's 'right' anyway? What the designer intended?
Heh. How many players really do that?

~Tess