[MUD-Dev] ghost mode

Mike Shaver shaver at off.net
Wed Sep 10 17:18:49 CEST 2003

On Sep 10, Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

> Even single player games keep things back as a reward, and they
> don't have anything like the content problems that MMOs do!

Single-player games also often allow you to scale down the
difficulty so that you can decide how much challenge you want.  If I
want to see the ending in Halo, or just get past something that I
find to be beyond my skill -- and beyond the skill possible for me
with the amount of time I'm willing to invest -- then I can set the
difficulty to "Wimpy McCriesALot" and walk through.

And I don't think that makes the game any less fun for my crazy
friend who plays it on "Blindfolded While Juggling Knives", or
lessens his sense of accomplishment or achievement or whatever.
(And when we play in deathmatchen, we can tweak handicap so that
it's equally challenging for both of us, and we have a good time.)

Is a "how hard do I want this game to be?" knob really so repellent
a concept in the MMO space?

Mike