[MUD-Dev] Player malleable worlds (was Expected value andstandard deviation)

Richard richard at ccpgames.com
Wed Sep 10 19:16:22 CEST 2003

From: Crosbie Fitch [mailto:crosbie at cyberspaceengineers.org]

> The solution is to abdicate responsibility for the world. Create
> it, and then leave the players to it. Say "It's your world. You
> asked us to build it for you. We did. Here it is. Thanks for the
> dosh. We'll be off now. Don't worry. Folk that look extremely
> similar to ourselves may pop up again one day offering
> enhancement/maintenance services. Ta ra".

Where is this dosh coming from?  Given the cost of developing a
massively multiplayer game (or I suspect any type of quality game
with a world players would want responsibility over) I can only read
the Slashdot style of business planning into this:

  1, Make world players would love to be given to do as they will.

  2, ???

  3, Profit!  Give game to players.

Given the uncertainty of "Profit!", the large risk and outlay in
developing a commercial quality game, no subscription fees and the
revenue from ongoing box sales being just given up or devalued given
the arguable quality resulting from the abdicated responsibility..

I think Neverwinter Nights is as good as abdicated responsibility is
going to get until the revolution comes.

Richard.