[MUD-Dev] Rewarding Beta Testers (There's Pricing Deal)

Vladimir Cole vladimir_cole at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 11 00:19:41 CEST 2003

I like the idea of lifetime membership offers for people who help
beta test a game or who help form the core of the community. Here's
a portion of a recent email that There sent to its community of
testers and former testers:

--<cut>--
  ************************************
  PRICING for BETA TESTERS
  ************************************

  There has officially announced the post-Beta pricing plan, including
  your exclusive Beta Tester deal. As a special thank you to all our
  Beta Testers, we're offering this incredible, once-in-a-lifetime
  offer.

  For only $29.95 you get:

    * LIFETIME membership in There
    * Explorer Pack - FREE!
    * Music Upgrade - FREE!
    * Voice Upgrade - FREE!

  That's over 80% off the list price! Sign up before September 24, and
  you'll get a whopping 20,000T bonus. Get all the info here:
  http://www.there.com/there_pricing_announcement.html

  People with "lifetime" memberships will probably proselytize for the
  community. They'll also tend to be more responsible towards it and
  more interested in helping build it.

  On the other hand, isn't this a pretty big risk? Accounts can be
  transferred (for cash) pretty easily. Can you imagine what a
  "lifetime" account would be worth on Everquest these days? I wonder
  how Second Life and There are minimizing that risk.
--<cut>--