[MUD-Dev] ghost mode (was Re: SW:G)

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Thu Sep 11 09:30:19 CEST 2003

From: Corpheous Andrakin [mailto:corpheous at yahoo.com]

> Perhaps a whole system like this could be built so that in order
> to gain access to more areas (without getting your butt kicked)
> you had to complete a series of quests.  For monsters that were
> unintelligent they could discover certain items to repel them and
> therefore travel through in relative saftey.  By allowing these
> "Explorer" type characters do such things you'll have to somehow
> inhibit their combat, making it so that they couldn't have the
> best of both worlds.  You could even give all the cartography and
> identifying skills to these players so that they're still needed
> as well as a whole host of other skills.

Why give them immunity bracelets that would certainly be used beyond
their intended purpose by power gamers, when by not doing so, you
force a grouping dependancy on them. If an explorer needs hack &
slashers to go into dangerous areas he's going to have be get to
know people who'll gladly take him along. As long as doing so
doesn't eat into their experience I doubt they'll mind.

After all, only a foolish explorer/cartographer would step into
enemy territory without an armed escort.

Dan