[MUD-Dev] Seamlessly Distributed Online Environments

Crosbie Fitch crosbie at cyberspaceengineers.org
Thu Sep 11 09:31:44 CEST 2003

From: J C Lawrence
> Crosbie Fitch <crosbie at cyberspaceengineers.org> wrote:

>> Might I suggest that for this 'central database' you utilise a
>> p2p service, like Gnutella say?

> That would raise far more problems than it solved.  P2P doesn't
> actually solve anything here except buzzword factor.

Wow. I must be on to something here for you to spend so much time
and effort attempting to so thoroughly demonstrate how it couldn't
possibly work.

Here's how it could work (apologies for the treacle site, but I've
got it misconfigured at the time of posting):

  http://www.cyberspaceengineers.org/ (Solar Système Segundo).

There are many benefits that 'online environments' would enjoy if
they were 'seamlessly distributed'. Granted there are problems too,
but why don't we try and focus on how to make things work, rather
than how to make things not work?

The universe is full of solutions, it's only our minds that are full
of impossibilities.