[MUD-Dev] ghost mode

Richard richard at ccpgames.com
Thu Sep 11 10:03:06 CEST 2003

From: Tess Lowe [mailto:tess at soulsong.org.uk]
> Justin Coleman wrote:

>> Grossly unfair to those who do things "right", i.e. in character,
>> seeing and hearing only what their character can see and hear,
>> wouldn't you say?

> I think that depends on whether there's a necessary advantage from
> being able to 'see everything'. Is success in an encounter with
> mobs always going to be down to seeing what's around the next
> corner? Or is it more due to individual player skill and group
> cohesiveness?  Are there any character types out there that have
> True Vision type skills? Why is this not a valid play style?

> If we really can't have a ghost mode due to potential abuse by
> achievers trying to see what's coming (though why that's so
> terrible I have no idea), perhaps this play style could be
> incorporated into the game from the start?  eg Generals with a
> strategic overview of their entire group in a dungeon, or
> characters whose primary skills involve flying, espionage and
> personal safety, not deathdealing ;)

> But no, I dont see that it's "unfair to those who do things
> 'right'". What's 'right' anyway? What the designer intended?
> Heh. How many players really do that?

You can quibble about whether its fair or right but it does affect
the conventional game players would be playing without it.  And for
some players, myself included, the effect it has is to devalue the
enjoyment I would be having.

The "ghost mode" player adds an undisputably enjoyable way to play
the game freeloading off the backs of conventional players.  Sure,
some conventional players may not mind it but I hope those who do
mind have some choice over it.

Being able to observe people who have no choice over it who either
cannot see you or can see you and cannot interact with you sounds
like the premise of a creepy television show.  In fact theres at
least one episode of Stargate SG-1 where observers are forced on the
characters.

Sounds more like "peeping tom mode" or "stalker mode" to me if it is
not done right.

Don't get me wrong I'd like to use "ghost mode" to observe others
but I wouldn't like others to be able to observe me as I play.  Get
rid of the freeloading and add choice to the equation, someone
mentioned paying more for being able to play this way - why not make
the "ghost mode" players pay the people they're gaining enjoyment
from observing, those that want to be watched.

Richard.