[MUD-Dev] Player malleable worlds (was Expected value andstandard deviation)

Ren Reynolds ren at aldermangroup.com
Thu Sep 11 13:37:49 CEST 2003

On 10 September 2003 13:18, Crosbie Fitch wrote

> So why not allow player created content without any vetting?  'No
> way!'

I'm not sure of the scope of player created content you are talking
about here, or why a mix of player and game created content would
not work.

In A Tail in the Desert (ATITD - and I'm just a player I have
nothing to do with eGenesis \ Teppy) one of the tasks is to build a
piece of art and get at least 20 people to vote that its good. So
the world is full of player creations. There is little limit to what
can created.

This is fantastic. Ok some stuff is rubbish, some stuff is so bad
its good and but some is amazing - spend hours just walking around
looking at in-game art.

What's more player created content in the form of in game chat, fan
art, game based stories, and web sites, guild \ clan stuff etc is
what really adds texture to MMORPGs.

If I have a criticism of ATITD I feel that the game narrative is a
little thin and tacked on and does not use the massively rich
Egyptian mythology that already exists. But the basic structure that
the guys have crated both with the tools and through developing a
social structure that requires creativity and co-operation is a
fantastic platform for player creation (just don't mention property
OK <g>).

Ren
www.renreynolds.com