[MUD-Dev] ghost mode

Tess Lowe tess at soulsong.org.uk
Thu Sep 11 17:03:31 CEST 2003

Dan Harman wrote:

> Which is why league tables are actually pretty depressing. At
> least with with levels, there is a cap (even if developers do move
> it periodically). It gives you a target, you can get to level 50
> and say 'I've made it', and you know you'll still be level 50 the
> next day. League tables are treadmills, you can't ever get off if
> you want to keep that achievement, and for me the obvious futility
> is a huge turn off.

It's curious isn't it, that where achiever goals are concerned, I
want it to be open ended whereas you want there to be finite
goalpost (even though apparently people leave once the goal is
reached); but where content is concerned, I dont need lots of new
content all the time, whereas apparently most achievers do. It seems
somehow contradictory.

You want there to be a level treadmill to rate your achievement, but
you want it to be finite, but you'll leave when you reach the end of
it. Not a play style I particularly understand.

>> Fair comment, although I suspect you are writing that from the
>> point of view of someone who quits when the content runs out.

> Don't you? I suspect its just our definition of content that
> differs.

By content I assumed you meant "new monsters, loot and new dungeons"
or similar. Not sure if you'd include an increased level cap in that
category since you dont like the moving goalposts. But If that's
what you mean by content, then I prefer to keep with the content I
have. If it gets crowded, instance it and maybe let me choose the
group i share the instance with. I dont like the unknown unless I'm
perfectly safe within it from losing all my hard (and boring)
work. Even then, I'd rather become excellent at what I know, rather
than start over. It's why I tend to play games like
Subspace/Continuum which have been around for years and years with
hardly any change. I'd pay a subscription for that game actually,
but fortunately it's free.

> Ok, so what mechanics would you add to EQ that would motivate you
> to stay?  These have to be systems that won't undermine the core
> mechanism of the game or unduly damage other players enjoyment.

I'm not sure EQ could be changed in a minor way to incorporate my
style unless you let me simply choose my level and gave me a pool of
items from which I could choose my equipment - which is something
that would irritate to hell people who would feel their grunt work
was devalued - unless perhaps there was some other way to rank their
effort and skill than simply level, like league tables, special
avatar appearance or whatever.

In single-player games I give myself all the cheats and play on the
easiest level. I'm just not somebody who gets any pleasure from
succeeding at a difficult task, unless that task depends on real
player skill, rather than grunt time. Now sit me in front of Soul
Calibur II and you can bet I'll be making everything as hard as I
possible can for myself. Get the difference?  Actually, someone
please make a Massively Multiplayer Soul Calibur II - just dont make
us level up.

~Tess Lowe