[MUD-Dev] BIZ: Who owns my sword?

Matt Mihaly the_logos at ironrealms.com
Thu Sep 11 17:22:55 CEST 2003

On Thu, 11 Sep 2003, Ren Reynolds wrote:
> On 11 September 2003 05: Matt Mihaly wrote:

>> Yes, they are a fiction, which is why an avatar doesn't own
>> anything.  Legal entities own things, not fictional
>> ones. Fictional ones only own things in a fictional world.

> The difference between fiction and reality being what?

> Money, law, the idea of a company... are all social constructions
> that society aggress to and act on accordingly. I can't see a
> fundamental reason why if a company can own something in a legal
> sense, and avatar cannot.

Well, as far as I am aware (and I am not a lawyer), the law would
not recognize a collection of database entries as having any legal
right whatsoever. Without legal right there is no legal
ownership. Companies can own things. Individuals can own things. I'm
pretty sure an avatar or the copy of Word sitting on my harddrive
cannot, at least in the eyes of the law.

--matt