[MUD-Dev] Rewarding Beta Testers (There's Pricing Deal)

Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com
Mon Sep 15 12:03:04 CEST 2003

From: Samurai Cat! @ Catacombs [mailto:samurai at catacombs.com]

> Personally, I (and hundreds/thousands of other past/present beta
> testers, I would guess) think that's a peachy idea. And not even
> CDs - just a link to a downloadable client and a cd/account key
> would do it for 99% of folks, methinks. It's much more feasable
> than lifetime accounts, financially. Most folks I've talked to,
> who I've been in beta with, don't seem to have any real issue with
> paying the monthly fee like everyone else - but the most frequent
> "why didn't they" bit was the free client issue.

Well of course everyone wants a free game! Frankly most beta testers
don't deserve a damned thing, they aren't testing, they are
playing. Furthermore if you have thousands of testers giving them a
free copy is going to cost the publisher thousands of dollars, and
may well impact their ability to get it into the shops. Retailers
are hardly going to be happy that their market is being undercut by
giving the most likely purchases a free copy.

Much better imho, is to give an in game item that shows the player
participated. It won't hurt the company, but it does serve as a nice
thank you to testers.

Dan