[MUD-Dev] ghost mode

Amanda Walker amanda at alfar.com
Mon Sep 15 12:03:21 CEST 2003

On Friday, September 12, 2003, at 05:15  AM,
Daniel.Harman at barclayscapital.com wrote:

> One question I have though, is whether you really want all these
> things in a game, or perhaps is it your reaction to the parchment
> thin stretching of content in current games? The entertainment
> density is so low, that I could see that leading you to the
> conclusions you've come to.

I won't speak for Tess, but this could certainly be true for me.
One reason I tend towards exploration/socializing in MMO games and
PvP in combat games is that I have a very high novelty requirement.
I get bored very, very easily by repetition.  "Step 1: Kill 50 bats.
Step 2: Kill 50 spiders" ad nauseum simply doesn't hold my
attention.  It's about as exciting as doing multiplication tables.
Hence my willingness to macro the boring part in SWG and find other
sources of stimulation (in that case, socializing with other
players).

> Would you feel the same though if leveling wasn't a boring slog of
> mouse clicking in a semi-comatose state?

I don't know--no game I've tried has provided this yet--hence my
conclusion that leveling is the problem.  I'm certainly open to
being convinced otherwise if a counterexample presents itself.

Amanda Walker